Some of the best conversations about tax and tax reform in 2017 weren’t found in conference rooms or the halls of Congress: They were on Twitter. Twitter is a great way to stay on top of tax news, tax information, and tax policy all over the world. You can instantly share links, data, policy updates, and photos – or simply lurk and watch your feed (though it’s certainly more fun when you engage). Think of it like a virtual cocktail party: you can network and exchange stories at your convenience – only you don’t have to dress up if you don’t want to.
Just in time for the new year, here are the top 100 must-follow tax Twitter accounts for 2018:
IRS* (Twitter list):
(3) @YourVoiceAtIRS – Taxpayer Advocate – The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS. http://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov. TAS does not collect comments/messages on this site. http://irs.gov/privacy.
Forbes Tax Writers & Regular Contributors (Twitter list):
(4) @ashleaebeling – Ashlea Ebeling – Associate Editor, Forbes
(5) @janetnovack – Janet Novack – Forbes Washington Bureau Chief & Personal Finance Editor / I follow tax, budget and retirement policy & planning.
(7) @peterreillycpa – Peter Reilly – If you don’t have documentation, at least have a plausible story. -Don’t just like, also retweet.
(8) @TheBudgetGuy – Stan Collender – Forbes contributor, Georgetown U. adjunct prof, author of The Guide To The Federal Budget, stand-up comedian wannabee, all tweets my own
Tax-Related Orgs (Twitter list):
(9) @ABATaxSection – ABA Tax Section – The ABA Section of Taxation
(10) @AICPA – AICPA – We’re the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Follow this account for Accounting news, Institute announcements, and other updates.
(11) @FICPA – FICPA – The Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants is the premier professional organization representing Florida’s CPAs.
(13) @NATPTAX – NATP – The National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) serves professionals through tax education, research, updates, publications and office supplies.
(14) @NSAtax – NSA – National Society of Accountants (NSA) is the association for Main Street tax and accounting professionals.
Tax Professionals, Firms & Companies (Twitter list):
(20) @Avalara – Avalara – Tax compliance done right. Cloud-based solution for various transactional taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types.
(22) @BrandonHarbeke – Brandon Harbeke, CPA – Tax CPA specializing in partnerships and corporations; sci-fi watcher and reader; classical and country music listener
(25) @ChaimGordon – Chaim Gordon – Tax lawyer. Favorite cases: Lochner v. New York and Citizens United v. FEC. Brainchild: Loving v. IRS. Grand-brainchild: Steele v. United States.
(27) @DonnaLCPA – Donna Laubscher – Tax CPA, especially fond of Form 1040; avid outside-of-tax-season reader, live theater, baseball & football spectator; iced tea addict (hydrate in the desert)
(28) @HowardGinsberg – CPA, Tax, Financial & Accounting Services. Wealth Management. http://www.ginsbergcpa.com Voted Best of Long Island. Nassau County
(31) @JodyPadarCPA – Jody Padar – Tax Quickbooks CPA Adjunct Professor Xero Firm Partner Sage Networker MACPA Professional Speaker Accounting Today Freshbooks The Radical CPA
(32) @joebwan – Joe Kristan – Tax guy. Former proprietor, Tax Update Blog. Currently with Eide Bailly LLP. Views are mine (who else would want them?)
(33) @kerryfreemanea – Kerry Freeman, EA – Tax Professional, Member of National Association of EAs, Arizona Society of EAs and owner of Freeman Income Tax Service in Anthem, AZ. Licensed by U.S. Treasury
(35) @LTWLAW – Louis T. Wierenga – Tax return DIYers, IRS allows 3 yrs. to amend. See if you overpaid in ’14, ’15, or ’16. Ltw@LtwLaw.com to learn more.
(37) @MD_Herbert – Michael Herbert – State Tax Person of the Year 2012 for Gillette v FTB. Tweets are my own and not from PwC.
(38) @MissTaxCat – Jina Etienne – Champion of Inclusion & Meaningful Diversity. Love my family. Always curious. Eternally grateful. Formerly: NABA CEO & AICPA Director-Taxation
(39) @NathanPClark – Nathan Clark – Tax geek, beer aficionado, dog lover, boardgamer, marathon runner. Prone to extreme sarcasm and dry humor. Opinions are my own.
(41) @raniacombs – Rania Combs – Attorney with a completely web-based Law firm who helps Texans prepare their wills, trusts and estate plans online, without the usual overhead.
(42) @rileytaxtweets – Peter J. Riley CPA – Peter Riley is the author of “The New Tax Guide for Writers, Artists, Performers & Other Creative People” and specializes in taxation for creative individuals.
(43) @RobKovacev – Rob Kovacev -Tax Partner at Steptoe & Johnson LLP. Ex-DOJ Senior Litigation Counsel. #Tax controversy, int’l tax, tax policy for #innovation/#AI/#robotics. Views are my own.
(45) @SalesTaxInst – Sales Tax Institute – Sales Tax Institute offers expert courses in sales & use tax that teach the practical & actionable skills needed for success.
(46) @SandraFeinsmith – Sandra Feinsmith – work with nonprofits and for profit companies regarding tax issues. It is a lot of fun and never boring
(47) @ShaynaCPA – Shayna Chapman – CPA.CITP, CGMA, tech addict, tax geek, mom, entrepreneur.
(48) @SportsTaxMan – Robert Raiola, CPA – Director of Sports & Entertainment Group at PKF O’Connor Davies, LLP -Co-author of AICPA book, Winning Tax Strategies & Planning for Athletes & Entertainers
(49) @SylviaDionCPA – Sylvia F. Dion – #CPA, Founder & Managing Partner #SALT Consulting Firm, MA #Tax Columnist for Tax Notes, #SalesTax Blogger, PROUD Mexican #LATINA & Happy Mom of 3 Awesome Kids
(50) @TaxBuzzOnline – Official Account: Get #tax & #accounting help from highly-rated professionals. Easy & free service for individuals & #smallbusiness. #cpa #fintech #finance
(51) @taxguru – Amit Chandel CPA CTC – Certified Tax Planner/Exit Strategies/Tax Resolution/Business Valuations
(52) @TaxHatchet – Brent A. Aubrey – Attorney, Faegre Baker Daniels, focusing on State & Local Tax (property, sales/use, income) (Tweets are my own & not legal advice; RTs not endorsements).
(53) @TaxJar – Tax Jar – Making sales tax filing simple for online sellers.
(56) @VertexInc. – Vertex – The official Twitter account of Vertex, Inc. the company that allows you to unleash the strategic power of tax.
(57) @VLJeker – V. La Torre Jeker – US Tax – Dubai since 2001. NYS Bar over 30 yrs; admitted US Tax Court. US/int’l tax planning, expatriation, OVDP, FATCA. 2017 Forbes Top 100 Tax Twitter Account
Tax Writers, Bloggers & Gurus (Twitter list):
(58) @AislingTax – Aisling Donohue – Tax nerd living all over the place in Ireland. Dublin, Longford (despite being from Westmeath) etc
(59) @alhstn – Amy Hamilton – Chief Correspondent (State) for Tax Analysts. Tweets are my own. email@example.com
(60) @BillSheridan – Bill Sheridan – EOS implementer, keynote speaker, communicator, author, blogger, son of a son of a sailor. Opinions are his alone.
(61) @BrightTax – Greg Dewald – CEO of Bright!Tax, the go-to cloud based US income tax preparation firm for the estimated 9 million Americans living overseas. Expat Tax Provider of the Year.
(63) @dashching – Chye-Ching Huang – Tax, budget, economy, law, policy. US & NZ. Deputy Director Federal Tax @CenteronBudget. Tweets not on US fiscal policy aren’t for CBPP
(64) @DCTaxNerd – DC Tax Nerd – I loved Alexander Hamilton before it was cool. Views are my own, and the only thing I endorse is the general principle of tax reform.
(65) @Howard_Gleckman – Howard Gleckman – Author, Caring for Our Parents, Urban Institute
(66) @jberryjohnson – Janet Berry-Johnson – I’m Janet Berry-Johnson. Freelance writer and CPA. Contributor at Forbes, Credit Karma, FreshBooks, Magnify Money, Accounting Principals & more.
(67) @JoeTaxpayerBlog – Joe Taxpayer – Father, Husband, Puppy Person, Friend, Financial Blogger, in that order, mostly. Likes are good, ReTweets are Great!
(70) @M_SullivanTax – Martin Sullivan – Chief Economist, Tax Analysts. Former Treasury, JCT staff. PhD Northwestern. See Washington Post feature by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Steven Pearlstein.
(74) @NKaeding – Nicole Kaeding – Economist at Tax Foundation. Mom. Wife. State fiscal policy wonk. Views expressed are my own.
(77) @SteveForbesCEO – Steve Forbes – Chairman & Editor-In-Chief, Forbes Media. Co-Author of REVIVING AMERICA.
(78) @TaxAddict – Tracy Shannon Levey – All Things #Tax, #Accounting & #Finance. Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow. Co-Founder Parker Tax Publishing. Opinions are my own.
(80) @taxmOuth – Free Tax Help – Tax help, answers, tips and news from federal and state tax officials, gurus, experts & authors for CPAs, tax attorneys and other tax pros. #taxes #tax #IRS
(81) @taxtweet – Kay Bell – Native Texan. Journalist. Tax Geek. Blogger. Dallas Cowboys fan. Birder. Wife. Not always in that order. Follows and RTs = intrigue, not necessarily agreement.
Media, Publishers, Networks and Think Tanks (Twitter list):
(82) @AccountingToday – Accounting Today – Accounting Today, a SourceMedia brand, is the independent news and information resource for tax and accounting professionals.
(84) @CheckpointTax – Checkpoint Tax – Thomson Reuters Checkpoint® is the industry leader for research, guidance, news, CPE/training and marketing for tax, accounting and finance professionals.
(85) @OECDTax – Latest #tax news & data from the #OECD Centre for Tax Policy and Administration. RTs and follows are not endorsements.
(89) @TaxPolicyCenter – Tax Policy Center – Independent, timely, accessible analyses of current and emerging tax policy issues. (Links/RTs/favorites/follows/etc. are not endorsements.)
(90) @WKTAAUS – WK TAA US – Official Twitter account for Wolters Kluwer Tax and Accounting in the United States.
Tax Professors and Other Learned Tax Geeks (Twitter List):
(93) @DeathNTaxesProf – Goldburn P. Maynard Jr. – Law professor @louisvillelaw. I teach tax, elder law, and gratuitous transfers.
(94) @EOTaxProf – Philip Hackney – #LawProf #taxprof, fmr DC IRS chief counsel atty & fmr Baker Botts atty; write & speak abt tax, #nonprofits, IRS, public policy, campaign finance, #darkmoney
(95) @jason_s_oh – Jason Oh – Tax law expert. UCLA Law School Professor. Chronic 3-putter. Hearthstone arena chum. From the home of the Wire.
(96) @JudithFreedman – Judith Freedman – Oxford Professor of Tax Law, British Tax Review editor, school governor, grandmother of 4. Here in personal capacity, not representing views of any organisation
(100) @XavierRoberson – Xavier Oberson – Prof. of Swiss/International Tax Law at Geneva University; Partner, Oberson Abels SA; #TaxTwitter; board member, Montreux Jazz Festival; electric guitar player.
And don’t forget to follow us: @taxoriginsurat